Sunday 10 July 2016

The Girl With No Name by Diney Costeloe



"Thirteen-year-old Lisa escapes from Nazi Germany on the Kindertransport and arrives in England in August 1939. She can't speak a word of English and her only belongings are crammed into a small suitcase. Among them is one precious photograph of the family she has left behind in Germany.
Lonely and homesick, not knowing if she will ever see her family again, Lisa is adopted by a childless couple and then bullied at school for being German. But worse is to come when the Blitz blows her new home apart and she wakes up in hospital with no memory of who she is, or where she came from. The authorities give her a new name and despatch her to a children's home. With the war in full swing, what will become of Lisa now?" 

Genre: Historical fiction
Pages: 416

I really like Diney Costeloe as an author, I think she writes beautifully and very discriptive. I have already read and reviewed 'The Runaway Family' by Diney Costeloe. I read the kindle version of 'The Girl With No Name'. I love a good war time story and this one is from the perspective of a German refugee that ends up living in England. I have read a fair few historical fiction stories and non fiction stories from the World War II era and this book is one I couldn't wait to read!
I've already mentioned how much I love the way Diney Costeloe writes her books. This book was so easy to read and so easy to follow. The characters are develop well throughout the story. This story follows a 13 year old Jewish girl who is evacuated from Europe to escape the Jews. She manages to stay in contact with her family by writing to her Uncle's address, she does however, loose contact with her family and has no idea what happened to them. Lisa ends up living with a childless couple on London, she learns to speak English with the help from her new friend 'Hilda' who can also speak German and English. The air raids in London are crazy, they're constant - Lisa fears small, dark spaces so going down into the air raid shelter is not something Lisa ever wants to do. One day Lisa is in the wrong place, at the wrong time with her new friend 'Harry' she gets caught up in an air raid and ends up having an accident, she looses her memory and can't remember who she is or where she comes from. Lisa is taken to a children's home for orphans and is evacuated once again, this time to the countryside in Wales.... Her foster family back in London have no idea what happened to Lisa, they suspect she was caught and died during the air raid.

Does Lisa eventually remember who she is? What happened to the first family who took Lisa in? Will she ever discover what happened to her real family back in Europe? 

I'm going to stop there as the rest would contain too many spoilers and I honestly don't want to spoil this story for anyone! It's a very good book, I rated this book five out of five stars and I highly recommend everyone to read this book, especially if you like war fiction! I can't wait to read Dineys other books!

What have you read lately?

Sarah xXx

7 comments :

  1. Great review! You're tempting me to read more war time fiction XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll admit I don't read a lot of historical fiction but this sounds like a story I could get into. Thanks for sharing with #ReadWithMe

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never been tempted to read war time fiction but this book sounds really intriguing. Thanks for a great review (and for not spoiling the story!).

    #readwithme

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, your review got me hooked. Will add this to my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is not usually the genre I go for but is sounds very intriguing so I may have to give it a go! #readwithme

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds a really interesting read. I think I'll add it my reading pile :) #readwithme

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful review! I haven't heard of this book, but it seems to be just the right historical fiction piece for me. #ReadWithMe

    ReplyDelete