Tuesday 30 August 2016

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak - Book Review.

The book thief book review
"It’s just a small story really, about among other things: a girl, some words, an accordionist, some fanatical Germans, a Jewish fist-fighter, and quite a lot of thievery. . . .

Set during World War II in Germany, Markus Zusak’s groundbreaking new novel is the story of Liesel Meminger, a foster girl living outside of Munich. Liesel scratches out a meager existence for herself by stealing when she encounters something she can’t resist–books. With the help of her accordion-playing foster father, she learns to read and shares her stolen books with her neighbors during bombing raids as well as with the Jewish man hidden in her basement before he is marched to Dachau.

This is an unforgettable story about the ability of books to feed the soul." 


Genre - Historical fiction 
Pages - 552

I was really excited to read this book, I have wanted to read it for a long time! I had seen the movie (or parts of it!) before and couldn't wait to read the book. It's quite a big book though and needs a lot of focusing! It did take me a while to read but I managed it. Anyway... The book is narrated by death.
I really wasn't sure about the style this book was told in but I did get use to it and ended up really enjoying it. A story based in Nazi Germany during world war two and the holocaust. A woman and a man take in a young girl during this time. They don't have any children of there own so it takes a little bit of adapting for everyone. They also take in a Jewish man during this time who hides out in there basement. He is trying to escape Hitler and being sent to a camp.. Or worse. I connected so well with the characters and the story. This book is unlike anything I have ever read before. Markus Zusak did I fine job with this story and it's beautifully written. I really did enjoy it but it isn't one I could read again! It's really hard to write a review on this book without giving away any spoilers. 
(Please note: There is a fair bit of swearing in this book) 

It is much like the movie, there are parts that are slightly different. I do think the book is slightly better but the film is also VERY good, too! 
I rated this book 4.5 stars. 

Sarah xXx

No comments :

Post a Comment